Maxtrac Question

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

sparky2842

Maxtrac Question

Post by sparky2842 »

I was wondering what the pot on the back of the radio on the heat sink does? Curiosity killed the cat, so before I touch it and regret it, Let me know... Also is there a way to modify for variable power for low and high? The sink gets pretty hot while talking on the ham bands...
bellersley
No Longer Registered

Post by bellersley »

That's not a pot, it's part of the power amplifier transistor.

At least, that's what the service manual leads one to believe. You adjust output power through the tuning/service menu.
sparky2842

Post by sparky2842 »

Thank you... Ok i wont mess with the screw on the back. I was wondering if I could modify the radio with a switch with resistors on the tx board so I could change the tx power in the field without a computer..
PETNRDX
What radios do you own?: Too many

Post by PETNRDX »

I suppose its possible to "modify the modification"...
There is a modificaton listed on the Repeater-Builder webpage to make power output control by a trim pot inside the radio.
The intent is to use this mod when using the radio outside of its design band where the radios tend to run "wide open" trying to put out something like 60 watts.
But, I must mention that if you try to run the Maxtracs much below appx half rated power, they get just as hot, but might put out spurs.
So, since the circuits in the radio were not designed for a low power setting, you might not have much luck.
I have had best experience with just setting the power out for about 2/3s or 3/4 rated power, and leave it at that.
That is one drawback to Maxtracs/Radius/GM300's they get HOT!.
sparky2842

Post by sparky2842 »

I'm not worried about the high power just the heat. I got 2 fans for the back today. I just gotta figure out how to mount them on the fins..
Doug
Batboard $upporter

Post by Doug »

As strange as this may sound I've used aluminum anchors for hanging pictures on drywall. They expand just enough between the heat sinks to keep it snug.
Doug
May the Schwarz be with you.
kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

Post by kb0nly »

Or make a plate to put two small fans on and use the mounting hole in the center of the heatsink. That hole is there for the extended mounting brackets that use a self tapping bolt to secure the back end to the bracket.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage
phrawg

Post by phrawg »

and remember to place the fan so the airflow draws ait through
the fins, not tries to push it through. Cooling is MUCH more
efficient that way. Phrawg
BBbzzzzz... ZAP.. GULP !!! ahhhh GOOD fly !

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”