TLB1564A what have I got

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

W4WTF
was KF4PEP

TLB1564A what have I got

Post by W4WTF »

I bought a unit that was labled as a 5mhz reference osscilator, now its here and I am not sure if thats what it is or I have more, it seems it is from a Micor.

Part # TLB1564A
Sticker on back lists freq as 43.200, thats what makes me wonder if this is more than just the 5mhz reference, I do see the 5mhz module in it.

I know nothing about Micors, as you can see....

kc7gr
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Icom, Sunair (HF).

Re: TLB1564A what have I got

Post by kc7gr »

W4WTF wrote:I bought a unit that was labled as a 5mhz reference osscilator, now its here and I am not sure if thats what it is or I have more, it seems it is from a Micor.

Part # TLB1564A
Sticker on back lists freq as 43.200, thats what makes me wonder if this is more than just the 5mhz reference, I do see the 5mhz module in it.

I know nothing about Micors, as you can see....
That's not an issue, because that unit is not from a Micor. That looks, more specifically, like the HSO (High-Stablity Oscillator) module out of an MSR2000 or MSF5000 series.

In either case, you've got yourself a decent frequency reference at least. However, for best accuracy, you should compare it against, say, a GPS-locked standard.

I don't recall if there's anything else (an exciter?) in that drawer or not. Someone more knowledgeable about base stations than I will need to speak up.
Bruce Lane, KC7GR
"Raf tras spintern. Raf tras spoit."
Dan562
What radios do you own?: Kenwood, Yaesu, ICOM, Motorola

Post by Dan562 »

The unit you've posted is a High Stability Oscillator from a Low Band VHF MICOR PURC Transmitter. The individual 5 MHz Oscillator would be connected +13.8V DC and left on to stabilize within 1 hour. On the oppose end of the 5 MHz Oscillator there's a small glass capacitor to set the reference frequency. You must be extra careful not to adjust that capacitor too far in either direction otherwise you'll damage the oscillator itself. /\/\ formerly manufactured these 5 MHz oscillators, then they outsourced them to an OEM but finally dropped the OEM supplier.
Bruce1807

Post by Bruce1807 »

Also used in Micor simulcast conventional systems in Australia at one time
But as said it is a 5Mhz HSO
W4WTF
was KF4PEP

Post by W4WTF »

Thanks guys, so what would be fed into the "audio in" jack on the back?
phrawg

Post by phrawg »

ahhhhh... Audio ! :lol: no seriously, audio to modulate the oscillator.
One such function would be to apply audio of the correct frequency
to create a test signal that would be used to set precise deviation
characteristics using bessel null functions. Or to provide a direct
true fm signal for setup and alignment purposes. Phrawg
BBbzzzzz... ZAP.. GULP !!! ahhhh GOOD fly !
PETNRDX
What radios do you own?: Too many

Post by PETNRDX »

My recollection is that on the PURC station, the audio is "true FM", so the audio modulates the crystal in a channel element inside that HSO.
Out of the back of the HSO should be a BNC connector, that signal is run via a small coaxial cable to a "channel element" that has no components inside.
That "fake" channel element is plugged into the exciter.
That is how the high stability modulated signal gets fed to the exciter.
But, that is just going from my feeble memory.
Anybody got a better memory on those?
Bruce1807

Post by Bruce1807 »

You are right PETNRDX I forgot how it all joined in but the fake channel element on the exiter was the clue I needed to remember.
Boy thats about 25 years ago.
W4WTF
was KF4PEP

Post by W4WTF »

Thanks guys, the paging part explains the data terminals.

I really just wanted a 5mhz reference for the shop, so the rest is excess but for under $20 I have what I need and more.
Freq Band
New User
What radios do you own?: Hallicrafters S-40A

Re: TLB1564A what have I got

Post by Freq Band »

$20 here too.
I picked one of these up today. All I want is the 5MHz ovenized oscillator.
+24v @ 500ma applied, and in about an hour, I get 5.00001132 MHz on my Keithley counter. (Not recently calibrated.)
If anyone wants the case with the rest of the circuitry, PM me.

.....or tell me how to turn this into an audio noise maker for experimental music (I'm into that kind of stuff, synths and such).

=FB=

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”