Advisor II Programming Error - Pager Not Responding

This forum is focused on discussing Digital and Voice paging equipment, protocol's, infrastructure, and Motorola specific hardware used. Please refrain from discussing different ways to monitor the digital paging systems due to the legalities of such.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

dittrimd

Advisor II Programming Error - Pager Not Responding

Post by dittrimd »

I have Motorola Advisor II VHF POCSAG 512K pagers that I would like to program. They are not password protected.

I have the correct Motorola interface kit and Advisor II cradle. I have downloaded and installed the Advisor II POCSAG software from Motorola and successfully installed it. All pagers work correctly and I just want to add some approved cap codes.

When I put the pager in the cradle the red LED becomes illuminated on the interface box. When I select the read pager option the operation times out and says pager not responding.

I know that the interface kit work becuase I program Minitor 3, 4, and 5 pagers with it. I have the correct serial port.

Am I missing something? Does the radio need to be put in some sort of programming mode? I have checked the cradle to ensure it is not defective in some way. I have checked all cables. I have pulled apart a pager and checked the two pin contacts on the circuit board. I have tried different serial port baud rates. All with the same result. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Mark
Last edited by dittrimd on Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
distort

Post by distort »

Need to put a battery in and power up pager.
dittrimd

Post by dittrimd »

Thanks but I have tried it both ways with battery on, and with battery off. Both with the same result.

Thanks

Mark
JerryRobinson
New User

Re: Advisor II Programming Error - Pager Not Responding

Post by JerryRobinson »

Hello - did you ever get your pagers below to program? I have 20 I need to add a group page code to?

Jerry Robinson
jr@abcsecurity.com
847-325-0600

dittrimd wrote:I have Motorola Advisor II VHF POCSAG 512K pagers that I would like to program. They are not password protected.

I have the correct Motorola interface kit and Advisor II cradle. I have downloaded and installed the Advisor II POCSAG software from Motorola and successfully installed it. All pagers work correctly and I just want to add some approved cap codes.

When I put the pager in the cradle the red LED becomes illuminated on the interface box. When I select the read pager option the operation times out and says pager not responding.

I know that the interface kit work becuase I program Minitor 3, 4, and 5 pagers with it. I have the correct serial port.

Am I missing something? Does the radio need to be put in some sort of programming mode? I have checked the cradle to ensure it is not defective in some way. I have checked all cables. I have pulled apart a pager and checked the two pin contacts on the circuit board. I have tried different serial port baud rates. All with the same result. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Mark
dittrimd

Post by dittrimd »

Wow, a blast from the past. I had forgotten all about this post. No I gave up getting my set up to work. I purchased an apollo pager and that seems to be working just fine. I can program it via software or it actually can have some features programmed via a programming mode and the front keys. The pager also is rechargeable and has an amplified cradle. If I had to do it now I would take it to a local shop that I know can program these pagers. I just don't have time to mess with it anymore.

Sorry I could not be more help.

Mark D.
mrtor
What radios do you own?: Analogue, Digital x lots

Post by mrtor »

dittrimd wrote:Wow, a blast from the past. I had forgotten all about this post. No I gave up getting my set up to work. I purchased an apollo pager and that seems to be working just fine. I can program it via software or it actually can have some features programmed via a programming mode and the front keys. The pager also is rechargeable and has an amplified cradle. If I had to do it now I would take it to a local shop that I know can program these pagers. I just don't have time to mess with it anymore.

Sorry I could not be more help.

Mark D.

These things are a p.i.t.a. due to the crappy DOS based software. I find it extraordinary that a current tier product like the Advisor II doesn't have a windows based software package. I have 70 that I need to program and I can't find a computer slow enough to run the software on, never mind that I am struggling to find any dos disks !!!
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

The Advisor 2 runs just fine in a window inside XP, even using a USB-serial adapter (as long as you force the adapter to com1-4).
mrtor
What radios do you own?: Analogue, Digital x lots

Post by mrtor »

tvsjr wrote:The Advisor 2 runs just fine in a window inside XP, even using a USB-serial adapter (as long as you force the adapter to com1-4).
Well it's got me stumped. I have now tried installing the software on my trusty Toshiba 550cdt which is an OLD Pentium 1 laptop that I use to program all of my older M mobiles & portables and it won't work on that either. I'm beginning to wonder if there is something wrong with the software itself.

I'll go back to the MSS and get them to stick all of my hair back on my head !

Return to “Motorola Digital and Voice Paging”