System Saber wont power up

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

goldvetter

System Saber wont power up

Post by goldvetter »

Battery is full charged. Is there a polarity diode in this radio and if so how do I access it.

Thanks
Motorola Nube
phrawg

Post by phrawg »

Don't think a protective diode but there is a fuse down near
the battery mounting area. A little green thing that stands up
like a resistor right near the contact block assembly. of course
I have slept since I saw one so this is totally a memory job.
Hope It helps. Phrawg
BBbzzzzz... ZAP.. GULP !!! ahhhh GOOD fly !
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

Aside from 'later' Systems Sabers having a fuse on the lower section of the chassis/frame assy., they also had one board mounted on the back side for older models(early '80s).

There are no protection diodes in the supply rail on any Saber, only a single fuse.

The front shield memory/display board MUST beisolated from the shield and there should be small 'plastic' strips along the top of this board to insulate the board from the retaining tabs used to hold the memory/display shield in place.

The strips cover bare traces on this board that can and do short because these strips have long since 'gone missing'.

Also, flexing the board causes problems of its own with no power up display, and you end up giving the radio a hard 'TAP' to get it to power.

Systems Sabers are notorious for enabling a RX PL code on CSQ channels, such as 446.000 or 146.520, or any frequency you need CSQ due to a given repeater NOT transmitting a tone for receiver quieting.

This gets annoying rapidly as the tone is usually one you do not have selected, or not using.

I do notice that whatever tone is used, as long as you continue cycling from TX to RX, you don't have to worry about the obnoxious tone being used, but let the radio sit idle for some time, and the tone pops on, and you miss calls.

Just another reason to forget the Sabers now....they are getting too old to use and are begining to develop 'quirks' that get annoying, not to mention that service parts are harder to come by every day as well, cases included.
goldvetter

Post by goldvetter »

Thanks for the help

N0SWP
Motorola Nube
Dorpmuller

Post by Dorpmuller »

AEC wrote:Systems Sabers are notorious for enabling a RX PL code on CSQ channels, such as 446.000 or 146.520, or any frequency you need CSQ due to a given repeater NOT transmitting a tone for receiver quieting.

This gets annoying rapidly as the tone is usually one you do not have selected, or not using.

I do notice that whatever tone is used, as long as you continue cycling from TX to RX, you don't have to worry about the obnoxious tone being used, but let the radio sit idle for some time, and the tone pops on, and you miss calls.

Just another reason to forget the Sabers now....they are getting too old to use and are begining to develop 'quirks' that get annoying, not to mention that service parts are harder to come by every day as well, cases included.

That's weird... maybe I've been lucky but I've got a dozen Sabers around (sys and regular) and haven't had any of those symptoms. I love mine, Astros are too rich for my blood, I don't like the new stuff, and here in the boonies I'll probably be in the ground before anything goes digital. One dies, I just go to Ebay and try to find another.

Years ago, I did get stiffed by a hamfest scumbag for a UHF SIII with the intermittent display you talk about though.

Rich

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”