JT1000 Programming Key Modification help

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

W4KRR
What radios do you own?: XTS3000's; XTS2500's; many sca

JT1000 Programming Key Modification help

Post by W4KRR »

Title says it all. (Yeah, I know it's just a diode!) :-?

Not even sure if they're available new anymore, I couldn't locate any via Google. I can pay via Pay Pal. Please PM me. Thanks!
-I moved this over from the FSFT board to here. If anyone can help him out in removing the diode mod, that would be cool..

-Pj
Ken, W4KRR
bellersley
No Longer Registered

Post by bellersley »

It doesn't help you with getting a key, but if you take a look at the JT1000 page, there's a "hack" you can do so that you don't need the key...assuming it's for a personal radio.
W4KRR

Post by W4KRR »

I purchased a JT1000 VHF model. The seller claims no programming key is needed, because the diode is internal. Is this possible to modify this radio by putting the diode internally, or could they just mean it's had the code plug hex modification done?

And as far as the code plug hex mod that allows the radio to be programmed without the key, can any modified code plug be programmed into the radio, or must it be the code plug that actually came from this particular radio?

Thanks to all who PM'ed me, I am pondering my next course of action.
Ken, W4KRR
bellersley
No Longer Registered

Post by bellersley »

I've never tried using an internal diode but I suppose it would work. I don't think you can use a speaker-mic if the diode is present though. You would need the codeplug thats in your radio right now, but it's a very simple task to hex-edit it to enable "Federal Mode" so no programming key is required.
W4KRR

Post by W4KRR »

bellersley wrote:I've never tried using an internal diode but I suppose it would work. I don't think you can use a speaker-mic if the diode is present
You're correct. I used Hex Workshop to view the code plug based on the information I found on this website, and it doesn't appear that it has been modified. But if I attach a speaker-mic, the radio locks on transmit as long as the speaker-mic is attached or until the radio is turned off. I opened up the radio, and I saw nothing that I would guess was a diode or part that seemed to have been added on anywhere. Yet I can program it without any key. So, while someone solved one problem, they created more (i.e., can't use a speaker-mic, earphone, and probably not an MTVA). :(
Ken, W4KRR
JustinMoon205
What radios do you own?: APX7000, APX7500, GP280

Post by JustinMoon205 »

The easiest way to achieve "federal mode" on the JT1000 that I have found is to find someone who has a "federal model" or a model that has been converted to a "federal model". Use a JEDI clone cable, standard close sequence, and clone the "federal model" to the "FCC model". Done deal. All audio accessories work, no hex editing, no diodes. That is how I've done all 3 of my JT's and zero problems.

Just my 2 cent.

-Justin
Archbishop, Church of /\/\otorola.
fire_master_21
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Motorola/Kenwood

Post by fire_master_21 »

you can dump a modified plug into the radio and it prograam without the key. I have done this many times.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
phrawg

Post by phrawg »

Suggested to NOT use diodes or anything internal to the radio
that is hardware. If you do then merely attaching an outside
accessory will put the radio into continuous transmit.
Do the hex edit to "federal mode" or use an outside key.
If someone has hacked the hardware I would be a bit shaky
about THAT particular radio. May have done more damage
than good. The hex hack is simple and effective and won't
cause you the xmit lock up problem. Phrawg
BBbzzzzz... ZAP.. GULP !!! ahhhh GOOD fly !
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

Translation...

Go into the radio, remove the hack, then make the codeplug mod and life is good...assuming that the previous owner(s) didn't F something else up.

If you like, I can move this into the general forum if you need help with it.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
W4KRR

Post by W4KRR »

Pj wrote:Translation...

Go into the radio, remove the hack, then make the codeplug mod and life is good...assuming that the previous owner(s) didn't F something else up.

If you like, I can move this into the general forum if you need help with it.
I'd love to go into the radio and remove the "internal diode" except that I can't find out where the previous owner put it (I did look). He's supposed to contact me and tell me where it is. Like a couple of people have said, a speaker-mic or even an earphone attached to the side port cause the radio to be in a constant state of transmit and therefore useless.

Moderator, you can move this if you like, I don't know if anyone can help me out any further or not.
Ken, W4KRR
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

Moved!
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”