Strange "Astro" Saber on Ebay

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

adam12431

Strange "Astro" Saber on Ebay

Post by adam12431 »

I hope including a link to this ebay auction is not against the rules, but I thought you folks on Batlabs should see this "Astro" for sale.

It looks like Motorola Saber III with Astro printed on the front of the radio. It appears the model sticker on the back of the radio has been removed.

What do you guys think?

The item number for the auction is 150124259998.
[/img]
Josh
What radios do you own?: APX4K, XTL5K, NX5200, NX700HK

Post by Josh »

Why that would appear to be a regular old saber, but with an Astro sticker on the front.

Definitly not astro.

-Josh
fire_master_21
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Motorola/Kenwood

Post by fire_master_21 »

that's what I told that seller. then he insisted that's it was astro. I asked for the complete model number and flashcode. All I got at that point was nothing.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Grog
On Moderation

Post by Grog »

If you don't want it, don't bid on my auction :roll:

Just kidding, but what I would expect from some on ebay :D
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

I saw that too.. I sent the guy a message that It was not an astro and that he was mistaken.

No reply
FiremanSparky
Batboard $upporter

Strange Saber

Post by FiremanSparky »

FYI, it is now relisted as a "Saber Astro". Hmph..........
Grog
On Moderation

Re: Strange Saber

Post by Grog »

FiremanSparky wrote:FYI, it is now relisted as a "Saber Astro". Hmph..........

Not on the main listing, and they also state "It has an Astro label on it but all indications are it is not". hey still show it as 136-174, but so do half the people on ebay :lol:
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

Classic. I wonder whose bright idea that was?
Rayjk110
Banned

Post by Rayjk110 »

My guess is that if they're a Pawn Shop, someone brought it in with Astro on it, had the Pawn people eBay "Astro Saber" (most pawn shops around here will give you about 1/2 of current eBay pricing on an item you bring in; sometimes less) and then got a good chunk of money from the unsuspecting Pawn owner. :wink:
WV8VFD
was KD8CPP
What radios do you own?: WAY TO MANY

Post by WV8VFD »

I'd still take it and fool everyone it is a special edition Astro Saber. :D
Tyler Lewis
txshooter

Post by txshooter »

Rayjk110 wrote:My guess is that if they're a Pawn Shop, someone brought it in with Astro on it, had the Pawn people eBay "Astro Saber" (most pawn shops around here will give you about 1/2 of current eBay pricing on an item you bring in; sometimes less) and then got a good chunk of money from the unsuspecting Pawn owner. :wink:
Anybody got a couple old Saber III's laying around? I might be able to find a sticker! :lol:
Scott B.
"Never argue with seven men when you are carrying a six shooter..."
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

With the exception of the ASTRO sticker, it's actually quite a nice looking Secure Saber. All my Sabers look like ratshit.
fogster
What radios do you own?: XTS2500/5000, XPR7550/5550

Post by fogster »

KD8CPP wrote:I'd still take it and fool everyone it is a special edition Astro Saber. :D
With its 50 channels x 5 zones, it's MUCH more versatile than my 'stock' ASTRO Saber, which only does 16 channels x 16 zones. Sure, you lose 6 channels, but I've always wanted to put more than 16 channels in a zone.

I wonder where they got that number from? You'd think the 12-channel knob might be an indication of something.
mr.syntrx

Re: Strange "Astro" Saber on Ebay

Post by mr.syntrx »

You can put more than 16 channels in an ASTRO Saber zone, just use the knob for zone selection instead of channel selection, and use the "CHAN" menu option for channels. My AS3 has 40 channels in zone 2 and 89 channels in zone 3, for example.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

mr.syntrx wrote:You can put more than 16 channels in an ASTRO Saber zone, just use the knob for zone selection instead of channel selection, and use the "CHAN" menu option for channels. My AS3 has 40 channels in zone 2 and 89 channels in zone 3, for example.
Or you can leave the channel selector set for channel select, enable the "CHAN" option in the menu, and just have channels 17+ in any given zone accessible by keypad only. Good for keeping things logically organized, as well as confusing people unfamiliar with the programming. It works on Astro Sabers, XTSs, MTS2000s, and any other handheld radio programmed with the same-type software architecture.
fogster
What radios do you own?: XTS2500/5000, XPR7550/5550

Post by fogster »

mr.syntrx wrote:You can put more than 16 channels in an ASTRO Saber zone
Whoa... I didn't think I'd be learning anything in this thread. Now I've found a real valuable programming trick and I finally set up an avatar. ;)

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”