Spectra/Pentium Laptop Programing

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Jongage
What radios do you own?: Alot of old Motorolas

Spectra/Pentium Laptop Programing

Post by Jongage »

OK, I have an original IBM pentium laptop, spectra lab software, running and booting directly into DOS 6.22, with both a RIB-LESS cable from rfguyes.com and cables/RIB BOX. My problem is I cannot get the computer to read the radio. It receive "Serial fault, power failure" or something similar from within the program when attempting to read the radio. The radio is ON.

Does anyone have any ideas????

-JonGage
wavetar
Administrator

Re: Spectra/Pentium Laptop Programing

Post by wavetar »

What's the version of the RSS? Most of the Spectra LAB versions floating around are not Pentium compatible (software written before 95/96 or thereabouts). Also, have you confirmed it is set for COM1 in the settings?

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
Jongage

Post by Jongage »

COM1 is selected in the settings within the RSS. I believe it is version 4.4.4 i am at work right now and cannot verify until morning. I was also wonding if the setting on the COM port need to be changed, as far as the BAUD rate, stop, etc......
Jongage

Post by Jongage »

I think I found the problem. IBM laptops are build with an IR port on the back, with the serial port not enabled. I found a utility using a google search that allowed me to configure the IRQ settings/disable IR port/enable Serial. Whewwwwww. Still having trouble accessing the radio however. But now i can get the radio to cycle on and off when I am making attempts to program it. I am powering the radio with a 2.5amp power supply on my desk. I think it is too small. Will attempt to hook it up to my truck.... just dont have access to a 120V for the laptop because of my aprtment complex..... :x

Nothing is easy...

-JonGage
Will

Post by Will »

Jongage wrote: I found a utility using a google search that allowed me to configure the IRQ settings/disable IR port/enable Serial. -JonGage
Jon, I have been looking for the same IBM utility to get the IR port moved to Comm 2 so I can use COM 1.

Also the original Spectra interface cable provides power from the Spectra to the RIB. Aftermarket RIBs often do not work with the Spectras and lack the power input pin 12 on the DB25 connector.
Jongage

Post by Jongage »

I PM you the link for it. Its off the IBM web site however I dont know what the url is..

-jon

Return to “Radio Programming”