Right-angle power plug for 4734 Saber charger...

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Right-angle power plug for 4734 Saber charger...

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Can someone please tell me where I can find the correct power plug for a 4734 Saber charger? It would be a standard three-blade connector same as on a computer, but with a 90-degree bend at the plug so the cable can exit the bottom of the charger properly. If you have a 4734 smart charger you know what I'm talking about.

(The cable which Motorola sells is a standard computer cord and the connector plug is too big and not a right angle type.)

Thanks.

Tom, W2NJS
...in D.C.
Monty
Administrator

Post by Monty »

Hi Tom:

I sure hope you are wrong !

The original part number for the NTN4734 Saber Power Cord
for the charger is [ 3005204R01] and in the old version, the part
which mated with the charger was [ Longer ] to prevent
that uneven bend that is commonly seen on gereric
Power Cords.

I could not bring myself to beleive Motorola
would discontine that cord, and just supply
one that is stright, and not molded @ 90 degress
so the charger would fit flat

Monty
Tom in D.C.

4734 power cord

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Monty: I took the P/N from the manual and ordered it and, guess what, it came to me as a regular computer cable with the straight, not right-angle, connector. If you know the correct number perhaps you would order TWO of them for me and I'll shoot you a check for whatever they cost plus the shipping.

I have to send you a regular email about retuning my Saber 3 so watch out for it in the next day or so.

Many thanks.

Tom, W2NJS
...in D.C.
N4UMJ

Post by N4UMJ »

Tom.......Just do a google search for a "right angle IEC"

This should give you plenty of vendors to deal with.

Also, on my original Motorola Cord only the Hot and Neutral are used and it has a two-prong (non-polarized) wall plug. The third center pin earth ground is not used. A rather unique setup....

Ed
N4UMJ
Tom in D.C.

4734 power cable...

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Ed:

Many thanks. Found exactly what I need on the RP Electronics site and ordered two of them. Who'd a thunk it would be that easy? What a country!

Tom, W2NJS
...in D.C.
Monty
Administrator

Post by Monty »

Hi:

Well, also just to be sure you know, some of these
[ Right Angle ] Cords may not have a deep enough
mating jack.....In the original Older Motorola one, its
about 1/4 " longer than most of the ones used on computers,
so I hope they will keep the old style, as whn one
on the Computer ones are used, it does tend to place
a [ little ] stress on the wire...

MS
N4UMJ

Post by N4UMJ »

Monty wrote:In the original Older Motorola one, its
about 1/4 " longer than most of the ones used on computers,
so I hope they will keep the old style, as whn one
on the Computer ones are used, it does tend to place
a [ little ] stress on the wire...

MS
I agree on the tighter fit. Monty is referring to the area behind the "mating portion" where the wire exits at 90 degrees. It is a "Tad" shorter resulting in the cord coming in closer contact with the housing. Also the connector may be cocked to one side slightly. It should work fine for you but it isn't identical to the original Motorola.

Also, the dimensions of my cord clone at first glance appear to be the same as the one you ordered from "RP Electronics Site"

I am going to be keeping my eye open for some "/\/\" originals at the next Hamfest, if am I lucky :)

Ed
N4UMJ
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Post by JAYMZ »

I know exactly the cords you guys are talking about....we have a box of them here with the 90 degree angles in the plugs. I have been contemplating asking my boss if I could snag one or 2....
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin
newmoto

been there done that

Post by newmoto »

Yes I had to find a cord for my charger too since I bought it off Ebay with the straight puter cord. I got one through tigerdirect.com made by cables to go. Fit real close, I had to shave some of the strain relief molding off from the cord to let it flex enough to fit properly. Does anyone know what the flashing red battery icon with the slash through it means? I have no manual and think it must mean a bad battery or something. Thank you!!
phrawg

Post by phrawg »

do you know you just answered a 5 year old post :o :o :o

Phrawg
BBbzzzzz... ZAP.. GULP !!! ahhhh GOOD fly !
W6JK

Post by W6JK »

I, too, recently ran into this problem. The right angle cables available at the local swap meet point the wrong way, requiring a really nasty bend in the cable and a lot of applied force to connect it, and actual swearing to get it back off. It turned out to be trivial to open up the charger and turn its connector around, however.

Jeff

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”