Attaching ground to steel

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

spareparts
Batboard $upporter

Attaching ground to steel

Post by spareparts »

I need to attach several communications grounding buss leads to building steel. Have cad weld, know how to use it.

Here's the problem: Steel is positioned vertically and embedded is 6000PSI concrete. My gut feeling it to have it x-rayed to verify position and core 2 overlapping hole into the column to expose the steel. (need room for the mold) Weld the cable on & close up the hole with hydraulic mortar. PE is good with the procedure.

Anyone have a better way?
Jatla

Re: Attaching ground to steel

Post by Jatla »

Your PE is Okay with the 1800 deg F molten copper surrounded by reinforced concrete? How old is the concrete? with older concrete there is sometimes moisture invasion near surfaces ( the kind that corrodes rebar and such) that may be flashed to steam and further propagate cracks. How deep below the surface of the concrete is the structural steel part? Is this an outside member exposed to the elements? I think that there should be some literature on welding structural steel adjacent to reinforced concrete that may be helpful, but once again you are talking about a CadWeld mold down a hole completely surrounded by concrete.
Just some thoughts.
Standing by...
spareparts
Batboard $upporter

Post by spareparts »

The steel is in a penthouse & has not been exposed to any weather in 40+ years. Per the prints, the steel is an "I" beam (W12 x 27), in a 14" x 14" concrete column. Assuming the steel is positioned in the center, I only need to remove 1" of concrete to hit the flange.

BTW, if anyone has references to this type of connection, please point me at it.
psapengineer

Post by psapengineer »

Would arc welding a new piece of steel to the existing structure and then cad-welding to the new steel solve your problem?
spareparts
Batboard $upporter

Post by spareparts »

psapengineer wrote:Would arc welding a new piece of steel to the existing structure and then cad-welding to the new steel solve your problem?
Indeed it would! Back to the PE for his blessing. Thanks! A simple solution that I never saw.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”