Flashcode option preventing DES-XL encryption?

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

oh2lak

Flashcode option preventing DES-XL encryption?

Post by oh2lak »

Is the expection correct, by reading the CPS help files:

If the flashcode includes ASTRO 25 trunking option, ie. Q361 Digital APCO-25 IMBE Trunking (9600kb Control), DES-XL encryption and therefore analog securenet operation is impossible.

A radio belonging to a friend has this symptom, the radio has DES-XL/DES-OFB hardware installed but the XL encryption field is disabled, and radio wide & personality options regarding securenet are all disabled too.

Encryption works ok on P25, apparently it is then DES-OFB.

The hybrid sits in a XTS3000 currently, we haven't yet tested it in another radio lacking the Q361 option.

Erik
--
Erik Finskas OH2LAK
oh2lak@sral.fi
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Re: Flashcode option preventing DES-XL encryption?

Post by Pj »

If you have Q361, then your stuck with OFB only. DES-XL/OFB will work normally on any other non-Q361 radio, as long as your options in CPS are correct.

There may be a work around, but the ASTRO25 flash in the 3k wasn't widely used at the time of production, due to the limited amount of 9600 systems online during the production run.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
oh2lna
What radios do you own?: XTS3000 R-split, Systems Saber

Post by oh2lna »

Pj wrote:There may be a work around, but the ASTRO25 flash in the 3k wasn't widely used at the time of production, due to the limited amount of 9600 systems online during the production run.
Well, after purhasing a DES-XL/DES-OFB board for my Digital APCO-25 IMBE Trunking capable radio, it would be nice to learn the work around. I've that radio with the symptom. SecureNet would be nice.
Napalm

Post by Napalm »

Erik: Have you made sure the tx deviation and channel spacing is set to the wide options? (25kHz/5kHz)

I had the same problem with analogue securenet not working, and it would default to P25 as the secure method, unless I made sure the personality was set to wide deviation.

I may have read the question wrong, if so apologies.
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

Other option is if you dont have a need for 9600 baud trunking, blow in another codeplug without it and have the host upgraded, since it is probably 6.xx

Jason
GEMOTO

Post by GEMOTO »

Will an XTS5000 with Q361 (9600 trunking), Multikey, IMBE and a DES, DES-XL, DES-OFB board do DES-XL and DES-OFB in P26 mode?

If I am reading the above posts correct DES-XL will work but only in ASTRO mode, not Securenet, right?
Pj

Post by Pj »

-XL will work fine IMBE and analog. -OFB will ONLY work IMBE.

There is some other funky limitation I believe, but I cannot think of it at the moment.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
MattSR

Post by MattSR »

KB9KST wrote:Other option is if you dont have a need for 9600 baud trunking, blow in another codeplug without it and have the host upgraded, since it is probably 6.xx

Jason
Hi Jase,

How does one do this with the XTS5000's?

Cheers,
Matt
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

Wish I knew, the thread started off talking about a 3k, not a 5k.

Jason
oh2lna

Post by oh2lna »

KB9KST wrote:Other option is if you dont have a need for 9600 baud trunking, blow in another codeplug without it and have the host upgraded, since it is probably 6.xx
No it isn't. I purchased that very radio from USA, and it is as follows:

Code: Select all

Model no: H09RDC9PW5BN
Serial no: 326AYJ3411
Firmware: 07.24.00.00
DSP Software: N08.03.02
Codeplug: 000C
System Package: H38
FLASHcode: 100008-000480-9

Q806/G806 IMBE / APCO-25 Digital Operation
H38/G51 Smartzone Operation
Q173/G173 Smartzone OmniLink Operation
Q361/G361 Digital APCO-25 IMBE Trunking (9600kb Control)
So I should probably toy around with that WIDE setting then when I have chance to do such a thing.
Pj

Post by Pj »

Which "wide" setting?
Pj

Post by Pj »

I am going to hazard to guess that the Q361 option is the granddaddy problem of it all.

Send me a PM, and I'll send you my email address, so you can send me a copy of your codeplug. May just be something simple, or your going to want to blow in a different flashcode.
oh2lna

Post by oh2lna »

Pj wrote:Send me a PM, and I'll send you my email address, so you can send me a copy of your codeplug. May just be something simple, or your going to want to blow in a different flashcode.
Mailed the codeplug this evening. I'd prefer as minimalist approach as possible solving the issue. The aren't that many Motorola depots in Finland, but I wouldn't really like anything too invasive done on the radio either.

Let's hope that the issue gets solved the easy way.

Jari, ES2LNA / OH2LNA
Pj

Post by Pj »

Just as a heads up, I looked at the CP he supplied. Everything looks correct, but all securenet options are greyed out or, shows the "glasses" in CPS. I changed several personailities from analog/mixed/astro, and encyption will only pop up corrected for the astro modes. Many of the traditional check boxes in the associated fields are also greyed out.

My quess is that Q361 is the issue here, but I can't see why that would prevent from from operating conventional secure..unless there is a flash option that would also be needed (but can't see what it could be).
oh2glg
What radios do you own?: DP4801 DM4601 SL7550 MTP850S

Post by oh2glg »

Pj wrote:My quess is that Q361 is the issue here, but I can't see why that would prevent from from operating conventional secure..unless there is a flash option that would also be needed (but can't see what it could be).
I' ve also have been in contact with Jari OH2LNA, along with some other Batlabs members, about this same problem. I've come to conclusion that the HOST version must be 6.xx for the Q361 "Digital APCO-25 IMBE Trunking (9600kb Control)" feature. My hunch is that otherwise it's totally unusable, though I might be wrong as well.

My best guess - based on my modest knowhow - would be that this radio in question was originally with HOST 6.xx and then later upgraded to the latest version, but without any chances to Flashcode itself, before placing it for auction in Ebay. The upgrading was probably done only because it was possible, not because that there was any actual reason doing it at all. Whatever the reason might have been, no one can tell that now.

Probably the next step here would be having a flashcode upgrade to include more usable options feature wise. :)
Jussi Strömberg
Ham call: OH2JS/OH2GLG
oh2lna

Post by oh2lna »

There isn't a possibility of editing my codeplug so that the IMBE Trunking would just be disabled, is there? It would be great to leave the flashcode intact as it is now, and solve the encryption problem that way. Loading up a codeplug with less features than the flash permits is possible, right?
Pj

Post by Pj »

I am convinced that its the flash option of 361 just being in the radio. I didn't see anything else in there that should prevent you from doing what you want. NSPD above was having simialar problems, with a similarly flashed radio.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”