Rx only Ht-1250 UHF LS operation hints please!!

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Skooter92

Rx only Ht-1250 UHF LS operation hints please!!

Post by Skooter92 »

Looking to use a UHF HT-1250 LS model on a Motorola analog Smartzone trunking system as a receiver ONLY. I have never programmed a trunking system into a HT before and 1) want to make sure I can follow the system without issues, and 2)ensure that in no way am I going to interfere with system operation (make it impossible to key up accidentally or allow others to do so at work, but still be able to decode identifiers and use an alias table to see who's talking). Anyone done this? Advice would be welcome. Yes, I know I can do this with a scanner, but being able to use my work HT to do this would be helpful and allow me NOT to have to carry another piece of gear.
Fairly well grounded......
ai4ui
was kf4pxz

Re: Rx only Ht-1250 UHF LS operation hints please!!

Post by ai4ui »

That radio won't follow a Smartzone system. It's an LTR radio. Prolly should get a scanner.
Wyrd bið ful ãræd, Fate is inexorable...
HumHead

Post by HumHead »

First, an LTR/Passport radio, like the HT1250LS cannot be used on a Type II Smartzone system like the one you're thinking of. It's just not going to work. They are two different trunking protocols.

Second, even if you fully understand them, "safely" monitoring a trunked system can be a touchy thing. If you do not know what you are doing (no offense intended), you are headed for trouble in a hurry. I could point you to the "why we tell people to buy a scanner": thread sticky, but you are also fortunate enough to live in an area where the mere act of possessing a scanner in a motor vehicle is also a criminal offense.

Bottom line- there is no way for you to do what you want in your area without exposing yourself to potentially serious problems. Sucks, but that's life in NY.
Amateurs train until they can do it right. Professionals train until they cannot do it wrong.
Skooter92

Post by Skooter92 »

This is why I posted here first! Thank you for the advice-time for a scanner *sigh*. Would have been just so easy...
Fairly well grounded......

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”