Saber KVL Cable

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

waverunner
1 Warning for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale/Links

Saber KVL Cable

Post by waverunner »

I'm trying to fashion a connector cable for a T3020BX KVL to a Saber. Has anyone done this, know the pinouts of the KVL or know where to aquire the proper cable? Thank you.
Hightower

Re: Saber KVL Cable

Post by Hightower »

http://www.batlabs.com/kvl.html

all the info you'll need to get up and cyphered :lol:
waverunner

Post by waverunner »

Would these be the pinouts fr the KVL?

Top of radio
---------------
| 1 10 |
| 2 9 |
| 3 8 |
| 4 7 |
| 5 6 |
waverunner

Post by waverunner »

Ah well, I created a cable for the KVL using an old Motorola mic cable and back-of-radio connector. I set and positioned all the pins propery on the back-of-radio connector:

GND = 10 + Ext. Antenna Connector ground
KEY = 9
/WE = 5
KID = 11

I opened up the KVL, made a small hold in the side (for the mic cable to fit through) and soldered the 4 wires to the back of original cable connector. As follows, looking at the back solder points of the connector, from the top down:

1st point = Unused
2nd point = GND
3rd point = KEY
4th point = /WE
5th point = KID

I connected the key loader to the Saber II and it displayed "KEY LOAD." I hit the PTT button on the KVL and it simply displayed "FAILED." And now the radio displays "KEY FAILED" when trying to use Securenet. OK I'm desperate here. Anybody have any ideas?
waverunner

Post by waverunner »

Bu the way, The radio DOES have a good Code Plug, because both radios were working perfectly in both secure and unsecure mode before I tried to load my own key.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

You... opened the KVL up, drilled a hole, and attached the wires directly? Why? You realize the connector on the size is there for a reason, yes? Either build a proper cable, look for someone selling one, or buy one from Mother Moto.

The KEY FAILED notification means that you have dumped the keys in that radio, thanks to your rigged up keyloader. Feel lucky that's all that happened - at least the radio still works, and hopefully the hybrid will as well. You can only TX in the clear with that radio until you load the keys properly.

Is the radio in question a Saber or an Astro Saber?
waverunner

Post by waverunner »

Thanks for the reply. Got it figured out. Pin 9, when pushed, wus just sliding down and not making contact. Works fine now, all keys loaded.
waverunner

Post by waverunner »

It's a Saber II.

The KVL problem was a problem of overlooking the obvious. Something I'm good at. Expecting a Zebra when I hear mere horse hooves in the forrest. Actually the unit looks quite nice and now runs like a top loading up my radios with keys. If someone didn't know better they'd think it was stock. And it's one less cable for me to lose.
apco25
What radios do you own?: APX / Astro 25 / Harris

Post by apco25 »

Given the fact you have endless piles of MX connector from STX radios I would have gone that route and made an OEM style cable, but as long at it works....
"Some men just don't know their limitations"
waverunner

Post by waverunner »

Point taken. I had a problem to overcome, I searched high and low looking for a connector for the KVL to no avail. If you know where I could find these elusive connectors, please let me know. Since I needed to change the keys pronto, I performed the modification. And on the flip side, I can always rescind the alteration and create the "proper" cable should I find a connector. For that mater I could carefully dremel the unit (as I did with the prior mod) and install a DB9 connector. Guess that's what comes of 25+ years of being forced to improvise in some of the most unruly of situations. Personally I still like the reparation of a State LE laptop inverter using a bullet, a nail and a portable propane stove. Still works to this day. Ah the memories.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”