HT1250 Battery Discharges on radio when off

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

RadioMan1101

HT1250 Battery Discharges on radio when off

Post by RadioMan1101 »

Is it possible for my HT1250 to discharge batteries while it is switched off? I've tried a few batteries with different capacities and date codes and they all seem to discharge while the radio is off. I put a fresh one on the radio in the morning and went out on a SAR mission some five hours later. When I arrived and tried to turn on the radio, it was dead. I swapped out batteries from my back pack and finished the mission. At the end of the mission there were 2 bars left on the radio display. Switched off the radio and headed home. About 2 hours later I took the first battery out and recharged it. I switched on the radio and it was now down to one bar on the display. The first battery was less than 4 months old and the others a little over a year old. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mike
Terry_Glover

Re: HT1250 Battery Discharges on radio when off

Post by Terry_Glover »

Last edited by Terry_Glover on Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Terry
Terry_Glover

Post by Terry_Glover »

RadioMan1101 wrote: Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mike
Just a guess based on what you've said above. It doesn't sound like it's your batteries. From here, I'd say your charger isn't finishing the charge cycle.
Terry
RadioMan1101

Post by RadioMan1101 »

Not sure it is a charger problem because I have used two different chargers. I removed from service 2 batteries that would get hot when charging, old date codes. I just ordered a few new batteris today and will see if that changes. The others were analyzed and checked out to be good. It could just be that dark cloud hovering over my head!

Thanks for responding.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

OEM batteries or knock-off....? What was the duty cycle (i.e. how often were you transmitting?)
RadioMan1101

Post by RadioMan1101 »

OEM only, no Chinese knock offs! Duty cycle, 80% receive.
Karfield

Post by Karfield »

At this point I would suggest putting the radio on a battery eliminator (built one should be just fine) and check the current draw while the radio is off. It's possible that there is a short in the PA circuit causing the battery to discharge even though the unit is off.
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

my money says bad PA if batteries/chargers are eliminated. Had a few Jedi's that would exhibit this behavior, and a couple of analog Sabers that did it. The Sabers would actually get warm on the side of the radio where the PA was, even when off. They would drain a freshly charged 4595 in about 6 hours of just sitting.
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
Karfield

Post by Karfield »

That was my thought. I've actually had Jedi's be fine for a while and suddenly start pulling tons of current and getting really hot even with the radio off. That was my basis for what I told him as the B+ line to the PA circuit does not go through the fuse for nearly obvious reasons.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”