Astro Saber AVA mounting

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Jocko

Post by Jocko »

I have a AVA and I cannot find anything about how to mount it. Does it only work in the horizontal direction (radio laying flat with display facing up) or can I mount it on the side of my dash console (radio display facing car door). Thanks.
Elroy Jetson

Post by Elroy Jetson »

Whatever suits you is fine. But, keep in
mind that if you mount it "mouth up" then it will get dirty inside more quickly than if it's mounted in a different orientation.

Elroy
Jocko

Post by Jocko »

Not sure if I explained it properly. Take a look at the crude picture. It doesnt seem to engage with the radio very well when i turn the lever. Let me know what you think. Thank you.

http://www.iswest.net/~jason/ebay/saber.gif
HOWARD

Post by HOWARD »

Their's that damn HHCH!
Doc

Post by Doc »

On 2001-10-29 21:50, Jocko wrote:
Not sure if I explained it properly. Take a look at the crude picture. It doesnt seem to engage with the radio very well when i turn the lever. Let me know what you think. Thank you.

http://www.iswest.net/~jason/ebay/saber.gif
Doc

Post by Doc »

On 2001-10-29 21:30, Jocko wrote:
I have a AVA and I cannot find anything about how to mount it. Does it only work in the horizontal direction (radio laying flat with display facing up) or can I mount it on the side of my dash console (radio display facing car door). Thanks.
If the ASTRO is not engaging correctly.... the battery on it may be the wrong size.. Motorola recommends a NTN4593 med capacity batt.... Use an original Motorola made battery and it will engage just fine.....

USE of an aftermarket equivalent is not recommended .. it may not have the right fit as seems to be the problem with many aftermarket made batteries ( the w&w BATTS COME TO MIND)

I never mentioned in an old email the TRADE came with a display mic - if it did I would have asked more for the trade.. if you were to buy a new ava from Motorola you would not get the display mic......For an MTS2000 radio 900 mhz which you have no use for I thought was a across the board trade... I gave fair trade value for the MTS versus an AVA which you do have use for.....

You want your MTS back.. It needs to be done this weekend......
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Doc: I have seen very few non-Motorola batteries which fit well into chargers, though they do seem to work okay in the
SVA Saber chargers which are made to take
two battery lengths. The aftermarket batteries almost always are too fat for the slots in the 4734 Saber chargers. Even the old Multipliers I use sometimes in MT500's are a bear to squeeze into the radio!

Tom, W2NJS
...in D.C.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”