motorola rss licensing question

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

wazzzzzzzzup
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: XTS3000/astro spectra/

Post by wazzzzzzzzup »

I submitted an application with Motorola recently for pro series software, they denied my request and sent back my check for 300.00, they said I didn’t represent the marketing strategy they want to distribute their software to. When I called to get info on how to apply I said I was an individual, they said NO PROBLEM! We need to send you a licensing app, they did I filled it out sent it back with check and they denied. Will they only give to company’s? Radio shops? What? I would like to buy the program instead of the alternative, what do I say to them to get them to approve me?
Elroy Jetson

Post by Elroy Jetson »

Get the name of the person you call in the RSS group who says it's OK for you to buy product from them. Make sure that name is referenced in an attachment to your application.

Don't send them any money until AFTER you have the Level Three licensing agreement signed and in your hands, THEN buy software.

Really, it shouldn't be a problem. I'm an individual, and today I got my Astro RSS update...for free. That's the only title I've purchased and they've now sent it to me at least six times! (Different versions)

Elroy
Astro Spectra

Post by Astro Spectra »

Guys, I understand that there are two levels of non-contract licensing available.

The cheapest is a one-time charge for one copy of the RSS. The more expensive is the subscription that gives you at least a year of free updates.

I understand that your average Motorola sales person may not give you the chocie unless you ask.
jim

Post by jim »

...and they wonder why people pirate their precious software! If they quit jacking everybody around like this when they try to buy it legally, they would be able to sell it rather that have it stolen.
HOWARD

Post by HOWARD »

If the license was not filled out properly and signed it will be denied, and as far as I know their is only one person to approve the RSS licensing. I have 4 subscriptions and have had no problem at all. The CDM/HT series was a little different they wanted serial numbers from the radios I intended to program other than that it was pretty easy. Once you send you're paper-work back call the parts number and order the software, they will tell you on the phone right then and their if you have the license on file.
Howard
Elroy Jetson

Post by Elroy Jetson »

I don't know if they changed anything on the licensing agreement, but I bought the Astro RSS and did NOT buy the subscription, and I've been getting updates ever since. I can't remember if I get one or two years of updates but I guarantee it's at least one year. These days, that'd be about five updates! I predict that CPS software will be updated more frequently than the DOS RSS because of its complexity, being in a Windows environment and all.

Elroy
PRR
Batboard $upporter

Post by PRR »

The CPS (Customer Programming Software) for the HT and CDM series of radios is being marketed differently than other RSS. Whereas [almost] any individual may purchase RSS for NON Professional Series equipment after having the RPX4719 license application approved (basically, are you a U.S. citizen with a verifiable address), the Professional Series requires application RLN4809. Motorola has stated that they are restricting this software to dealers, MSS and selected large private users (read, big $ users).

Unfortunately, most of the people at APD (Aftermarket Parts Division) don't know or understand this distinction. To plead your case, you will need to contact your Motorola district rep and/or Radio Products Group in Rolling Meadows, IL (Call the 800# and have them transfer you).

By the way, Elroy: Having had absoulutely minimal hands on experience with Sabers and XT3x00s, I'm not sure, but isn't 2 CD's a bit over the top, even if it is Windows?!
Elroy Jetson

Post by Elroy Jetson »

One CD covers the Astro Saber and XTS3000, and the other covers the Astro Spectra. They're actually different part numbers and may be sold differently, which is why they do it that way, or so I presume. My package is the Astro package deal, so I get both CD's.
It's actually kind of funny because I've never used or programmed or owned any Spectras of any type, Astro or otherwise. Those Spectra disks might as well be coasters to me.

Elroy

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”