Flashport Upgrade Failed

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

escomm
Queue Moderator

Flashport Upgrade Failed

Post by escomm »

XTL1500, 800MHz, trying to upgrade it with a USB dongle to enable type ii trunking

Firmware/DSP both R12.00.00

Every time it gets to block 16, the radio reboots to maintenance mode, and CPS craps out with an error message, indicating I should reset the system (do they mean the radio or the computer?? I tried both to no avail) and to double check programming cables IF the radio shows fail 01/90 (it does not-- and I verified the cables are seated properly)

Exact error message:
An error has occurred. Please check all connections, then reset the system by powering OFF then ON.
If the control head displays an error code, for example 01/90, make sure the programming cable is attached to the control head and wait some time for it to display maintenance mode. If it doesn't, then reset the system again.

[RETRY] - [CANCEL]

I have forced the radio into boot mode, per the manual, by holding softkey 4 and the orange button, then hit RETRY, to have the same error pop up. Doing this allows about 90KB of a firmware file to get written (per the bootloader on the control head) but then CPS craps out again.

Motorola says I may have a corrupted flashkey.

Has anyone else experienced this, if so, what did you do to get around it? FWIW, I've tried with both GCAI cables (USB and Serial) and moved the flashkey around the various ports on the computer

Hitting cancel will reboot the radio out of maintenance mode, does not eat the charge on the flashkey, and leaves me back at square one
d119

Re: Flashport Upgrade Failed

Post by d119 »

Can you read/write to the radio using CPS successfully?

If so, sounds like you've got a munched FlashKey. Try the flashkey in a different port.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Yes, read/write with CPS works fine.

Get this, I tried one last time, for grins and giggles, and the CPS puked up an error about an invalid flashcode.

I put the radio in service mode, and it looks like the radio took the upgrade. I read with CPS and the trunking option was now listed. The kicker: The process never ate the upgrade off the flashkey

/boggle

At least it's working, though what I did different the last time I've no idea.
d119

Post by d119 »

Oh really... Interesting. I'll have to try that next time a radio comes across my desk for an upgrade.
Firebuff66
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE

Post by Firebuff66 »

Hi

I upgrade XTLs allot, Did 1400 of them not to long ago. We ran into this a bunch of times, just make sure your tuning is correct, we had some that flashed to block 17 then failed, but it put the new flash in.
We found out that the old tuning info goes in on block 18-19 so we had to retune a few radios.

Hope this helps!

Good luck!
Batwings21

Post by Batwings21 »

escomm wrote: The kicker: The process never ate the upgrade off the flashkey
The flashkey count is depleated by one at the end of the process, so if it fails at any point previous you can retry without wasting flashes.
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

I would try another computer to do it and see if that resolves the issue.
-alex
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”