Minitor 1 Problem

This forum is focused on discussing Digital and Voice paging equipment, protocol's, infrastructure, and Motorola specific hardware used. Please refrain from discussing different ways to monitor the digital paging systems due to the legalities of such.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

lieut25

Minitor 1 Problem

Post by lieut25 »

I just picked up 2 UHF Minitor 1's from ebay on my countys Paging freq. I set up each pager using the min 2 filters and neither pager is going off on the tones. The pager is reciving fine but just wont beep. Any thoughts??
Andy Brinkley
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: FMR80D and a Motrac with Scan

Re: Minitor 1 Problem

Post by Andy Brinkley »

The standard Minitor I used KLN-6202 "reeds" for tone decoding, make sure they are in the correct position in the pager. There was also an optional 3 tone decoder board that utilized NLN-8503 Permacodes (the NLN-7834's from a Minitor II will work, they are just shorter in length) for the tone decoding, IIRC they had 3 positions for an A, B and C tone plug, again order makes a difference.
Andy / NC4AB
res6cue

Post by res6cue »

Take a look at the sticker inside the pager, as well as the number of tone sockets available on the board itself.

If the model # is H04EAB1712A and there are 3 sockets, then you can use Permacode active filters (either the larger NLN8503A style, or smaller and more common "Minitor II" NLN7834A style) .

If the model # is H04EAB1212A and there are 2 sockets, you have to use the old Vibrasponder reeds (KLN6202B).

Note that the A (first) tone is the one closest to the battery compartment.
lieut25

Post by lieut25 »

There are 3 sockets in the pager and i am using the min 2 reeds and still no good.
res6cue

Post by res6cue »

Just to verify, the model # on the sticker for both pagers ends in 1712A, correct?

1st tone goes right against the battery compartment (bottom of pager). 2nd tone goes right above that. 3rd tone, if applicable, goes closest to the speaker.

For reference/comparison...if you took these filters out of a Minitor II, the 1st tone is the one furthest from the speaker, 2nd tone is in the middle, 3rd tone is against the speaker.

Test all tone filters in a Minitor II to verify that they do in fact work.

I would also test the filters in the A and C slots in addition to the normal A and B configuration, in case there is a problem with the B slot. Doesn't hurt to try.

It's worth noting that the Minitor I's are intended for two-tone operation, not a long-tone group call (single tone filter) operation.

If the pagers still don't alert after all that, but are receiving all other communications loud and clear, then there is a problem with the decoder board that is not allowing them to function correctly. Out of curiosity, are you on a narrowband frequency? That could be an issue also, as the audio is usually pretty low for a wideband receiver operating on a narrowband frequency.

If you're dead set on getting these to operate properly, you can give these guys a call: http://www.com-tech.org/service.html
lieut25

Post by lieut25 »

Thanks res6cue for the pics as i am a better visual learner. lol I will reverify that i checked everything correctly the first time. The freq of the pager is 453.750 and it seems to be coming across loud and clear.

If they still dont work that's how far im gona go with them. Im not gona invest any money in them as they are more of a collectors piece and not a primary pager. I have the braging rights that i am the first and only person in the county that has 2 min 1 pagers on our UHF Freq. We only switched to UHF paging in 1997 so the oldest pagers we have on UHF are min II. All in all i have aprox 80 pagers in my collection from min 1 to min 5's and they all work on my countys VHF and UHF system.

Return to “Motorola Digital and Voice Paging”