c:/temp folder permissions, SBS 2003

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

dagwag77
New User
What radios do you own?: 1 XTS2500, 2 HT1250, 2 HT750

c:/temp folder permissions, SBS 2003

Post by dagwag77 »

Hi All,

I'm running Windows Small Biz Server '03 and the users on my network need access via permissions to use two files that are in the c:/temp folder. I have manually gone to each machine and given all users permissions to these two files, however they keep "resetting" or re-downloading (its from a java-based app we use), and they loose permissions to access the files. Any ideas how I can give them permission to use these files either via the network/server settings or something I can do on each local machine to ensure that users always have the correct permissions to use these two files? (Theyre used for spell check for the java app, its a pain without them).

Thanks in advance,
Dave
My radios:
(1) XTS2500 450-520 Model II
(2) HT1250 128 Channel (1 Model II and 1 Model III 450-527)
(2)HT750 4 Channel (403-470 and 450-527)
(2) Uniden Scanners (BCT-15, BC92XLT)
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Re: c:/temp folder permissions, SBS 2003

Post by thebigphish »

it's the umask command @ mount for the partition on a unix machine, but i have NO idea what it is for a SBS machine. Changing run as credentials for the program might help it, or maybe goofing with the ACLs for the partition. I hate to say it, but a slop-ass way around the permissions problem is to mount the temp partition on a filesystem which is incapable of tracking ACLs (such as fat32), and then the filesystem won't track user permissions and as long as the user has end user rights to the file system, they can access the file.
but hey, it's only /temp, right?
"How do you plan to outwit Death?"
"With a knight and bishop combination; I will destroy his flank.
" --Antonious Block
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Re: c:/temp folder permissions, SBS 2003

Post by JAYMZ »

You would also need to give the user permissions to that folder on the server. At that point they have access to all of the files within that folder. This is assuming that the folder is set up to share on the network as well. (IE: \\server\tempfolder\)
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”