CDM 1250 Ignition Sense

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

rvc440
New User

CDM 1250 Ignition Sense

Post by rvc440 »

Need help.....New Heavy Rescue truck coming in and we are specing the radio equipment. Everything in the truck will be on a master power switch like an ambulance (I read the post about that). My question is do we have to use the ignition sense kit in order to have the radio turn on when the battery switch is turned on? We are installing 5 mobile radio's and multiple ignition sense kits I assume would drive the price up..... Any ideas?
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Re: CDM 1250 Ignition Sense

Post by thebigphish »

5 CDM1250s in a rescue truck? wow.

Any proper install of a CDM series to act as ignition sense should have a ignition sense kit on it, or you can get the plugs and do it yourself. If you are spending the money on a heavy rescue, and you are wanting it to be working according to manufacturer specification...if Moto says for it to function as ignition sense, you need the kit, get it. The cost is not gonna go up THAT much that you should skimp on the installation of communications hardware. That's a lot of radios and antennae for a heavy rescue, can i ask as to how and why you need that setup? I would say some XTLs and the like, as opposed to taxi-cab radios like the 1250.
"How do you plan to outwit Death?"
"With a knight and bishop combination; I will destroy his flank.
" --Antonious Block
rvc440
New User

Post by rvc440 »

The truck will double as a command vehicle.... 2 UHF in the cab for basic com, then 1 UHF , 1 VHF, 1 low band in the command area. Unfortunately to keep things "uniform" I had to stick with the CDM's. Thanks for you help was just kicking the idea about the ignition sense around.
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

There is a little known non-documented trick on CDM models to get them to power up once the main power plug gets power to it.

On the accessory pins on the back of the radio - short pins 7 and 9 together. I have used the little black computor option jumpers
successfully since these two pins are adjacent to one another and YES it does work. I just know some of you folks are gonna jump
in here and flame me and say it aint so but I have many CDM's used as control stations set up this way and IT DOES WORK.

EDIT: Oh yes - and I found out this info right here on this board - not sure when but it was at least 3 or 4 years ago.
fineshot1
NJ USA
SonicSounds

Post by SonicSounds »

Its also very easy to remove the plastic frame around the accessory connector and carefully solder a wire from the ignition pin (where it hits the PCB) over to the V+ bus. Takes less than 5 minutes and I assure you works well - have done it to probably 30 or 40 of them. Nice internal mod that can't be seen from the outside and can't be bumped off. Can still use the accessory plug as a side benefit.

Jon
ve3nsv

Post by ve3nsv »

+1 , done 100's of CDM's this way in mobile installations and in repeater configurations and it works great.
fineshot1 wrote:There is a little known non-documented trick on CDM models to get them to power up once the main power plug gets power to it.

On the accessory pins on the back of the radio - short pins 7 and 9 together. I have used the little black computor option jumpers
successfully since these two pins are adjacent to one another and YES it does work. I just know some of you folks are gonna jump
in here and flame me and say it aint so but I have many CDM's used as control stations set up this way and IT DOES WORK.

EDIT: Oh yes - and I found out this info right here on this board - not sure when but it was at least 3 or 4 years ago.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”