Any way to repair tone board failure on M IV's?

This forum is focused on discussing Digital and Voice paging equipment, protocol's, infrastructure, and Motorola specific hardware used. Please refrain from discussing different ways to monitor the digital paging systems due to the legalities of such.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Cbrown01
New User

Any way to repair tone board failure on M IV's?

Post by Cbrown01 »

I have a Minitor IV which I have confirmed has the notorious problem of cracked solder or whatever the problem is which is caused by flex at the beltclip that causes it not to alert on a tone which I've read about in many posts on other boards.

I was wondering if there was an easy way to fix this problem by opening the case or if anyone had any suggestions about how I might be able to get it fixed.

Thanks,

Casey
tvsjr

Re: Any way to repair tone board failure on M IV's?

Post by tvsjr »

I just depot them... not worth the time, in my opinion.
res6cue

Post by res6cue »

The fix takes about 5 minutes, if that. It involves nothing more complicated than touching a soldering iron tip to the IC legs so the solder reflows. Why on earth would you pay shipping and labor for Motorola to fix that? Anyone still using a junky III/IV probably has limited resources to begin with, and can't afford to spend $50+ to have something repaired that can be done for $0. But hey, that is your opinion, I just happen to completely disagree is all.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

res6cue wrote:The fix takes about 5 minutes, if that. It involves nothing more complicated than touching a soldering iron tip to the IC legs so the solder reflows. Why on earth would you pay shipping and labor for Motorola to fix that? Anyone still using a junky III/IV probably has limited resources to begin with, and can't afford to spend $50+ to have something repaired that can be done for $0. But hey, that is your opinion, I just happen to completely disagree is all.
Because I'm a volunteer who works 70-80 hours a week and still manages to make 50-60% of our calls (about 700 a year - and we don't first respond on EMS calls), and simply don't have enough hours in the day?

We only have a couple M4s... most are 5s.

Return to “Motorola Digital and Voice Paging”