HELP! 2004 Chevrolet S-10 Blazer install

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

4n6inv

HELP! 2004 Chevrolet S-10 Blazer install

Post by 4n6inv »

I just bought a 2004 S-10 Blazer 4 door 4x4 to replace my Isuzu Rodeo. I have a mid power VHF Astro Spectra with a W-3 HHCH, a siren DEK box and a wildcard box. When I was looking at it; it appeared that there would be enough room under the back seats to install the radio and siren/PA box with room to spare for my Whelen ISP188 Strobe pack and run the wiring under the carpets, etc. I started trying to approximate the equipment in its persepective places, and NO JOY! The rear seats barely have enough room to stuff the boxes under them, but I wouldn't be able to lay the back seats down, if needed because of the way the hinges on the back seats articulate.

Has anyone ever done an S-10 Blazer, or have any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions? I'm puking over the thought of no radio in my car, except my XTS5000!

Thanks!

Jim
jmr061
was KB9KST

Re: HELP! 2004 Chevrolet S-10 Blazer install

Post by jmr061 »

Haven't done one before but is there room under each front seat to put the radio on one side and the siren box on the other. I have seen/done installations where the front seats were pulled out to do this.

Jason
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

The ISP188 should fit under one of the back seats. Every time I have done one with a remote radio it had to be mounted in the cargo area.
4n6inv

Post by 4n6inv »

"Should" is the operative word here... I might be able to shove the radio unit under one of the front seats with a shoe horn, but the rest won't cut it under the rear seats. The siren unit is just too large. I'm going to take a fresh look at it this morning in some decent daylight and re-evaluate, I'm afraid this may be one of those "close, but no cigar" situations where I wind up having to install the equipment in the cargo area - which I would abhor. But; I guess it would beat nothing. I'd have to consider mounting the equipment on the sides of the cargo area, because there are times, I'd need to fold the rear seats down to put something in there like a repeater. Aaarrrggggh! This stinks!

Thanks for the ideas, though! I'll give them a try.
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

Try three Syntor x9000's and an ISP188! The isp will fit under the front seats but as stated, its tight. I am pretty sure I was able to stuff a x9000 under one of the front seats as well. Wasn't ideal but worked. The other two I had stuffed between the rear seat and spare tire. I can't recall how I didn't. Not a lot of wire/wiggle room in those trucks.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
thomsoningreen
New User
What radios do you own?: I use all of Motorola's Lines.

Post by thomsoningreen »

What I have done in the past with a situation simular to this was I made a mount out of a cut down sheet of plywood and mounted it to the back of the back seats in the cargo area. That way it would slove the issue. We had to do this to a hybrid espace because of the battery under the cargo area.
Network Communications Integrator (NC)
To key or not to key, that depends on the traffic.
4n6inv

Post by 4n6inv »

I tried shoving the radio and ISP188 under the front seats without success. They almost fit, but won't quite make it. If I remove the front seats and install the radios under them; when I re-install the seats, they will be clamped down on them to where the seats won't slide backwards or forwards. "Screwed" is becoming a reality at this point...
4n6inv

Post by 4n6inv »

OK; problem solved. Not the way I wanted it, but it works. I mounted the equipment on the back of the rear seats, and it looks OK. I'm going to install a gray drape over the equipment so no one can see it;. Sucks; but that's all I can do...
4n6inv

Post by 4n6inv »

OK; radio and siren installed. The firewall penetration was a bear for the power and siren speaker. Radio is working like a champ. NOW; I have 4 HV strobe lines to get through for the front lights. I'd rather suck the snot out of a dead mans nose... Any ideas?
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

Drill another hold thru the firewall. I had 6 coming in from the front...
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
4n6inv

Post by 4n6inv »

It was 80 here yesterday... Today, 33 and light snow. Welcome to West Texas! I at least have my radio and siren working and have the strobe pack mounted. I'm going to wait for a nicer day and more ambition before I start mounting the hide a ways.
ka8ypy

Post by ka8ypy »

4n6inv wrote: I'd rather suck the snot out of a dead mans nose... Any ideas?
Use a straw?? :D
4n6inv

Post by 4n6inv »

Straws draw fluids too quickly. That's why I don't use them on beverages. I want to enjoy what I'm consuming.

The weather is back up in the 50's today, but I'm proabably going to have to replace most, if not all of the strobe cables and my interest in going to all of that hassel grows slimmer by the minute... Face it guys; I'm no longer anyone (if ever) important. I've used my blue lights and hide-a-ways 3 times in four years. Does that pass the sanity test? Cool to have; but quick to overuse and get in trouble... Not that anyone out here really cares. It's not like I'm a "Blue Light Rapist".

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”