Quick Engraving Question...

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

themedic66

Quick Engraving Question...

Post by themedic66 »

Hello all,

I want to do some quick and easy radio engraving and I came accross this picture, what type of engraver/tool engraves like this? The Brand, Model number, price, and store to buy from would be great info!! THANKS!!

"It's all in a days' work"--LAPD/LAFD
escomm
Queue Moderator

Re: Quick Engraving Question...

Post by escomm »

Weller soldering iron.....
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

That looks like a common Dremel tool engraving. Handheld electric rotary pen with steel tip. You can set the speed of the percussion to get an even finer line. Works great for free hand marking polycarbonate housings. I'm pretty certain we got our out of Tessco.
PETNRDX
What radios do you own?: Too many

Post by PETNRDX »

Or Sears or most any hardware store.
Steve K.
smokeybehr
What radios do you own?: Dozens. Want one? Email me.

Post by smokeybehr »

Bill_G wrote:That looks like a common Dremel tool engraving. Handheld electric rotary pen with steel tip. You can set the speed of the percussion to get an even finer line. Works great for free hand marking polycarbonate housings. I'm pretty certain we got our out of Tessco.
Yup, looks like the typical "buzzer" engraving device. They work great on damn near everything. All of the surplus stuff I pick up has that kind of engraving on it. Only one thing that I picked up from FleaBay had real professional engraving, and that was from Phoenix.
No, I will not fix your computer. Call back during NORMAL business hours.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Bill_G wrote:That looks like a common Dremel tool engraving. Handheld electric rotary pen with steel tip. You can set the speed of the percussion to get an even finer line. Works great for free hand marking polycarbonate housings. I'm pretty certain we got our out of Tessco.
Just spend the money on a diamond-coated tip rather than the cheap tip that comes with it. Mine lasted for about 20 pagers...
n7maq
What radios do you own?: Mocom 70 w/scan!!

Post by n7maq »

Lowes has them for just under $18.00
kb4mdz
What radios do you own?: Too many for the time I have.

Post by kb4mdz »

If you want it to look as good as possible, without the expense of taking it to a local trophy shop, try this:

Use a label maker (Brother P-Touch or the like), and make your label with what info you want, in letters as small as you dare. Put the label on, then use the engraver tool to trace the characters. With even a moderately careful hand, it's much better looking than anything you can do freehand. Peel the remains of the tape off, and there you are. This has helped me a LOT, as my handwriting is admittedly somewhat spazzy, er, sloppy.
PETNRDX
What radios do you own?: Too many

Post by PETNRDX »

I had not thot of that...
That is a very good idea, and I am going to try it.
Steve K.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Yeah, that is pretty good. I failed kindergarten though. I was terrible about coloring in the lines. Might suck at engraving on a label. But, certainly worth a try.
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

These things are cheap but most PD's have them as well. These are often used for evidence marking. Also seen some PD's have a program where they will come to you and mark all your valuable posessions usually using these. Along the same lines the auto glass etching stuff where they etch your VIN might have some usable application in radio world.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”