XTS3500 RSS

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Arnold Horshack

Post by Arnold Horshack »

Hi guy's,
what's the fastest pc you can run XTS3500 RSS on? I read the primer but I'm assuming I may be able to run it on something faster coz it's newer software?

Any news on XTS3500 CPS??

Thanks
Elroy Jetson

Post by Elroy Jetson »

It should be good on any PC currently available.

Elroy
HOWARD

Post by HOWARD »

Ok on a P-4 1.5
USPSS

Post by USPSS »

I tried running it on a 850 P-3 and it bombs. even with moslow it bombs, under DOS in Win 98se, It runs fine on my 486-100 old Grid laptop, I run everything on it unless it is windows based.

Stan
Arnold Horshack

Post by Arnold Horshack »

Thanks.

I'll order it and see how I go? I suppose I can look forward to the upgrades if this version won't run on my machine.
Astro Spectra

Post by Astro Spectra »

It runs fine on both a 486 25 DOS box and a PIII 500MHz Win 98 machine in a DOS window.

We ONLY program radios on the 486 box.

The 3500 DOS RSS actually runs a lot faster on the 486 than the Astro DOS RSS.

It is only when we need to setup a whole bunch of modes that the faster machine is used for input and editing. The code plug is then dumped on a floppy and transferred to the 486 for programming. We used to do the same thing before the Astro CPS Windows software was released.
HOWARD

Post by HOWARD »

Why would you use the RSS under a DOS window? It clearly states in the RSS Manual the minimum computer requirements and the software should only be run in DOS mode. Moslo seems to allow the really slow programs to run but it usually wont allow the reading or writing of the radio (my experience anyway). I bought a Factory Reconditioned Texas Instruments 286 TravelMate laptop on Ebay for $75.00 and it works great for Syntors and some of the other old programs.
Howard

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HOWARD on 2001-11-11 09:32 ]</font>
Astro Spectra

Post by Astro Spectra »

Hi Howard, It is safe to open, edit, and archive/save codeplugs in a Win 98 DOS window. What is not safe and doesn't usually work is trying to program a radio.

Why would you do it? Because working on a big Astro codeplug can takes hours and hours of time and usually there are other business activities, like email and database access, which must be attended to at the same time. Using a DOS window means that I can have all the other MS Office stuff on the go at the same time.

However with at least with Astro Spectra/Saber and XTS3K this is a thing of the past with Windows CPS.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”